Hi everyone, this is Lauren, visiting again from Tastes Better From Scratch and I’m so excited to share this scrumptious homemade mac and cheese recipe with you! I’ve got to be honest, I don’t mind a box of good old Kraft Macaroni and Cheese every one in awhile. It has it’s place 😉 But that processed stuff has got nothing on this homemade version, and I’ll tell you why!
First of all, this homemade Mac and Cheese is made with three different fresh types of cheese! It has cheddar, mozzarella, and parmesan! I’m telling you, it’s cheesy bliss! Whether you’re five-years-old or fifty-years-old, you will love it!
Second, it’s made with bigger shell noodles than those tiny little macaroni noodles, which taste fantastic, and let’s be honest, they’re just more fun to eat!
Third, it has Greek yogurt in it, which makes it super creamy and delicious. You could also substitute whole wheat noodles to make it healthier.
And–as if I even needed another reason–this dish is baked to golden, gooey, cheesy perfection! It’s super easy to throw together, and it’s a meal the whole family can enjoy!
- 1/2 lb medium-size shell pasta (like pipe rigate)
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 1 clove garlic
- 2/3 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1 cup milk
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 1/2 cups freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/4 cup breadcrumbs, optional
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Cook pasta according to package instructions. Drain and rinse with cold water.
- Place a medium-size saucepan over medium heat. Add butter. Once butter is melted, add the garlic and sauté, stirring, for one minute.
- Add the yogurt, milk, cheddar cheese, 1 cup of parmesan cheese, mozzarella cheese, and salt and pepper. Stir until combined and cheese begins to melt. Gently fold in pasta noodles and stir until incorporated.
- Pour cheesy pasta into an un-greased casserole dish. Sprinkle remaining 1/2 cup of parmesan cheese and breadcrumbs (if desired) over the top. Bake at 350 degrees F for 20-30 minutes.