Last month we were lucky enough to Guest Post over on Kim’s cute blog Today’s Creative Blog! I shared one of my favorite dinners ever – Honey Lime Chicken Enchiladas! I’ve been making this recipe for years and was shocked when I realized I’d never shared it! Who doesn’t love a good Enchilada? The thing I love about Enchiladas is that they are not an exact science! You can make them to order! So, with that said, take this recipe and fill free to add anything you’d like! One other tip – when you are making the chicken mixture – DOUBLE IT! Then freeze the 2nd half of meat. That way when you are craving it again, all you have to do is pull the meat out of the freezer and assemble your Enchiladas!
- 8 Tablespoons Honey
- 6 tablespoons Lime Juice (1-2 large lime)
- 1 Tablespoons Chili Powder
- 1/2 Teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 1 pound chicken, cooked and shredded (I use 3-4 chicken breasts)
- 1 1/2 - 15 ounces cans Green Enchilada Sauce
- 1 1/4 Cup Heavy Cream
- 8-10 Flour Tortillas
- 1 pound Monterrey Jack and Colby Jack cheese, mixed and shredded
- 1 Yellow Onion (Optional)
- Chicken Mixture: Cook and shred the chicken and combine with the Honey, Lime Juice, Chili Powder and Garlic Powder. Allow to marinade 4+ hours (I like to make mine at breakfast time and allow it to marinade all day)!
- For the Sauce: Combine the 1 1/2 cans of Green Enchilada Sauce with the 1 1/4 Cup Heavy Cream and Mix. Coat the bottom of your pan in about 1/2 cup - 3/4 cup of the sauce mixture.
- If you are an onion fan, then you will want to sauté your onions before hand. My favorite way to cook them for this recipe is with coconut oil and 2 Tablespoons of brown sugar. Mmm… makes em' sweet and yummy!
- For Assembly: First sprinkle the cheese on the tortilla, then put 1-2 tablespoons of the sauce, and then pile on the chicken. If you are going to put onions, then pile them on last! Then roll your enchilada and place them fold side down in your pan! Depending on your pan size, you should be able to get 8-10 enchiladas in your pan! Once your pan is full, pour about 1/4 cup of sauce over each individual enchilada and then sprinkle 1-2 cups of cheese over your whole pan! Cook at 350 for approx 20-25 minutes!
ENJOY! Seriously, doesn’t it look amazing? I love the mix of the sweetness of the honey, citrus from the lime and flavor from the Chili Powder! Makes for the perfect Enchilada in my book!
I hope you and your family enjoy them just as much as we do!