Every year we have the tradition of cooking a dinner in a pumpkin. Each year up to now, I’ve always made the same recipe. But, this year I wanted to try something new. I got this Beef and Cabbage Dinner in a Pumpkin recipe from a friend and it was such a yummy change!
Now lets be honest friends, dinner in a pumpkin is not a pretty dish of food! But, the kids love the tradition and we love the pumpkin! Just throw some butter and salt on it!
Beef and Cabbage Dinner in a Pumpkin
- 1 medium to large pumpkin
- 1 1/2 lbs ground beef
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 clove garlic
- 3-4 cups of cabbage shredded
- 1 1/2 cups green beans trimmed
- 1 1/2 cups minute rice
- 4 cups tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Prepare your pumpkin by washing it. Cut off the top and clean it out.
- Place hamburger in a large skillet. Cook on medium until browned and then drain the fat and add the onion and garlic. Cook for 2 minutes.
- Add sugar, Italian seasoning, salt, pepper, tomato juice and rice; mix thoroughly.
- Layer inside of pumpkin with 1/3 of cabbage, green beans and beef and rice mixture. Repeat layers, replace lid and bake for 1 1/2 to 2 hours or until the pumpkin is cooked all the way through.
I hope you and your family love this meal and tradition! Have a great Fall friends!