A layered Eclair Cake that can feed a crowd! The pastry dough is light and fluffy, then topped with a vanilla pudding mixture and topped with Cool Whip and a delicious chocolate sauce!
One of the major perks I received when marrying my husband was being introduced to this amazing and delicious Eclair Cake recipe! My mother-in-law is an amazing baker and she’s introduced me to MANY new recipes, but this has to be my favorite! We call them Sheet Eclairs — but most people would know it as an Eclair Cake!
This recipe serves a crowd, so it’s an easy go to for pot lucks, parties and large group gatherings!
HOW TO MAKE AN ECLAIR PASTRY DOUGH
The eclair pastry dough isn’t that hard, but it does take some arm muscles.
Bring water, salt and butter to a boil. Add flour and stir until mixed. Then one at a time add the eggs. This is where you need to really use those muscles! Don’t be afraid to tag team with someone!! You really want the eggs incorporated well.
Once the eggs have been fully incorporated into the flour mixture, spread the pastry dough onto a greased 13″x9″ Sheet Pan. The mixture can be sticky, so I like to spray my hands with cooking spray first. That way it doesn’t stick to my hands!
Bake the dough for 10-15 minutes or until the top is golden brown and puffy and then allow it to cool completely. As the dough cools it will flatten a little. That is normal, so don’t be alarmed!
HOW TO LAYER YOUR ECLAIR CAKE
Next up, you’ll need to prepare your pudding filling! Start by preparing your pudding according to the instructions on the box. You’ll beat the mixture with a hand mixture or your Kitchen Aide.
Once the pudding mixture is made, blend in the softened cream cheese. Mix until it is completely combined and then spread it on the cooled eclair dough. Place the sheet pan into the fridge to allow the pudding to set. This usually only takes like 10-15 minutes! Once set, spread the Cool Whip on top of the pudding!
EASY CHOCOLATE SAUCE RECIPE
Lastly, let’s prepare the best chocolate sauce out there! Melt together the butter and Cocoa Power on low heat in a heavy sauce pan on the stove.
When melted and combined, remove from the heat and add 3 ½ cups of powdered sugar. Then add 4-5 tablespoons of milk until desired consistency and taste.
Then drizzle the chocolate sauce on top of the Cool Whip topping! This chocolate sauce is the best, because it hardens when cooled and the flavor is delicious!
I assure you that anyone you serve this to will LOVE IT! The flavors are amazing and this is so much easier to make than real eclairs!
CAN YOU FREEZE ECLAIR CAKE?
Unfortunately no! It would ruin the consistency of the pudding layer. However, if you’re going to be short on time leading up to the event you want to serve the Eclair Cake at, you could make the Eclair Pastry Dough layer ahead of time and freeze it. After it’s been cooked, allow it to cool completely and then cover it in Press N Seal and freeze it.
When you’re ready to prepare the rest of the Eclair Cake, allow the Eclair Pastry Dough to be completely thawed before assembling the rest of the layers!
Eclair Cake Recipe
- 13"x9" Sheet Pan
- Kitchen Aid Mixer
- 1 cup Water
- ½ cup Butter Salted
- 4 Eggs
- 1 cup All Purpose Flour
- ½ tsp Salt
Pudding Filling & Cool Whip
- 3.5 cups Whole Milk
- 8 oz Cream Cheese Softened
- 2 boxes 3.4 Oz Instant French Vanilla Pudding (this is the small box)
- 12 oz Cool Whip
- 8 tbsp Butter Salted
- 4 tbsp Cocoa Powder
- 3.5 cups Powdered Sugar
- 4 tbsp Milk
- Preheat your oven to 450 degrees.
- Bring water, salt and butter to a boil. Add flour and stir until mixed.
- Remove from heat and add one egg at a time and mix until no longer glossy. (see notes).
- Once the eggs have been fully incorporated into the flour mixture, spread the pastry dough onto a greased 13"x9" Sheet Pan. (see notes)
- Bake for 10-15 minutes or until the top is golden brown and puffy. Cool completely. As the dough cools it will flatten a little. That is normal. Don't be alarmed!
Pudding Filling & Cool Whip
- Mix pudding with milk as directed on the pudding boxes (beat with mixer).
- Once the pudding mixture is made, blend in the softened cream cheese.
- Spread the pudding filling all over the top of the cooled crust. Put in the fridge for a few minutes to let the pudding set.
- Top the pudding with the Cool Whip. Refrigerate while you prepare the chocolate sauce.
- Melt together the butter and Cocoa Power on low heat in a heavy sauce pan on the stove.
- When melted and combined, remove from the heat and add 3 ½ cups of powdered sugar. Then add 4-5 tablespoons of milk until desired consistency and taste.
- Drizzle on top of the Cool Whip. Refrigerate until ready to serve. This dessert it meant to be served completely chilled.
- *Note* This fudge sauce refrigerates very well. If you are lazy (like I am sometimes) then you can use Hershey's chocolate, but note that it DOES NOT refrigerate well. It will run all over the top of the Eclair Cake. If you opt to use Hershey's Chocolate, then I suggest you just have it on the side to be drizzled on pieces individually as they are served.
Enjoy! This really is such a great recipe and I really hope you, your friends and your family love it as much as mine do!
If you’ve tried this recipe, I’d love it if you’d comment and rate the recipe! I love to hear feedback and answer questions!
Make sure to pin this post for later too! Thanks so much friends! Have a great day!
*This recipe was originally posted in August 2013 and has been updated!