Hey guys, this is Lauren, your new recipe contributor from Tastes Better From Scratch! I’m so excited to participate at Over the Big Moon–I’ve been a fan for a while and I can’t wait to share some of my favorite homemade recipes with you!
The most important thing I can tell you about me and as a food blogger is that–as my blog name says–I live by the motto that everything tastes better homemade! Take these orange rolls for example. Some people might be tempted to use frozen or pre-made rolls to throw these together, but they’re missing out on the joy that comes from making the fluffiest, lightest, most delicious rolls from scratch! And the best thing about this recipe is that it’s FOOL PROOF and EASY. Seriously, the directions are so specific that you really can’t mess these up. And you don’t have to worry about kneading them by hand or letting them rise for hours. Just follow the simple instructions below and they will turn out perfectly fluffy and sweet!
A few years ago I might have cringed at the thought of sharing this recipe because it’s that special to me! It’s been a family favorite for many years and extended family and friends have come to expect a batch at any party or get-together. They are just that good! Fluffy, light rolls with the perfect sweet orange filling and glaze! I hope you love this recipe as much as we do, and stop by Tastes Better From Scratch for some more delicious homemade recipes!
- 1 ¾ cups warm water
- 2 Tbsp yeast
- ⅓ cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup butter 1 stick, melted
- 1 tsp salt
- 5 cups flour
- ½ cup butter 1 stick, softened
- ½ cup sugar
- zest of 2 large oranges
For the Glaze
- 2 cups confectioner's sugar
- ½ tsp grated orange zest
- 2 Tbsp freshly squeezed orange juice
- In a small bowl, add water, yeast and sugar. Let rest (proof) for 15 minutes.
- In a large mixing bowl fitted with a dough hook, add eggs, butter, salt, flour and yeast mixture.
- Knead the dough with your mixer on medium speed for 3 minutes. Cover bowl with a towel and let dough rest for 10 minutes.
- Knead dough again for 3 minutes. Let rest for 10 minutes.
- Knead dough one more time for three minutes. Let rest again for 10 minutes.
- Divide the dough into 3 balls. Lightly flour your counter-top and roll each dough ball out into a 15''x8'' rectangle.
- Mix ½ cup softened butter with ½ cup sugar and the zest of 2 oranges. Spread this mixture evenly over the three rectangles of bread dough.
- Roll-up each rectangle lengthwise into a long tube (similar to how you would roll cinnamon rolls). Use a sharp serrated knife to cut the dough into 1 ½'' sections. Put each small dough round into a greased muffin tin. (You could also lay them in a greased baking dish, like cinnamon rolls, but we always make them in muffin tins!)
- Allow dough to rise once more, for 30 minutes.
- Bake at 400 degrees F for 10 minutes. Remove from oven and drizzle with glaze.
For the glaze
- Whisk powdered sugar, orange zest and orange juice until smooth. Drizzle over warm orange rolls.
Looking for more yummy sweet bread recipes? Try some of our other favorites: