A delicious and sweet dinner, this Creamy Chicken Enchilada Recipe, is my go-to dinner when I’m craving Mexican food. They’re perfect to prepare as a freezer meal and super easy to double when serving a large crowd.
This recipe is one that every family should have in their recipe book! The flavor is amazing and just hits the spot with each and every bite! I love to serve them with my Easy Bean Dip and Cilantro Lime Rice!
I’m thrilled to share my signature recipe for Honey Lime Chicken Enchiladas, a dish that transforms ordinary ingredients into an extraordinary feast.
The problem with most enchilada recipes is they often turn out either too dry or lackluster in flavor.
That’s where my unique twist comes in – a tantalizing blend of sweet honey and zesty lime, coupled with tender chicken, all wrapped in soft tortillas and smothered in a creamy, spicy sauce.
I also share with you my step-by-step guidance and tips I’ve perfected over the last 10 years that I’ve been making this recipe! I am sure that you’ll love this recipe!
Creamy Chicken Enchilada Recipe Ingredients
- 4 Cups Shredded Chicken (3-4 large chicken breasts or rotisserie chicken)
- ½ Cup Honey
- ½ Cup Lime Juice (2-3 limes)
- 2 Tablespoons Chili Powder
- 1 teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 20 oz Green Enchilada Sauce (I use 2 – 10 oz cans)
- 1 Cup Heavy Whipping Cream
- 4 Cups Shredded Monterey Jack Cheese
- 8 Flour Tortillas (or corn if preferred)
What tortillas are best for Creamy Chicken Enchiladas?
It’s really a personal preference, because both work! A lot of enchilada recipes call for corn tortillas. For this specific recipe, I prefer using a large flour tortilla. However, if you prefer corn tortillas, feel free to use them!
What is the best cheese for this White Chicken Enchilada Recipe?
The most popular type of cheese used in these enchiladas is cheddar cheese. However, another popular choice is Monterey Jack. I always stock Colby Monterey Jack Cheese and even use it sometimes when it’s what I have on hand! All 3 taste great in this recipe! But again, cheddar cheese is probably the most popular.
How to make White Chicken Enchiladas
The first thing you need to do is prepare the chicken — take the shredded chicken (or rotisserie chicken) and combine it with the honey, lime, chili powder and garlic powder.
Mix it all together in a large ziplock bowl, pan or bowl and allow it to marinate for at least 30 minutes. I actually prefer to make mine in the morning and allow it to marinate all day, until I assemble my enchiladas that evening for dinner.
Creamy Enchilada Sauce
Next, combine your canned green enchilada sauce and heavy whipping cream and mix.
Now it’s time to assemble the enchiladas!
How to assemble Honey Lime Enchiladas
- Gather the tortillas, mixed enchilada sauce, marinaded chicken and cheese.
- Take a spoonful of sauce and spread it on the center area of the tortilla.
- Then spread out about ½ cup of the chicken mixture over the sauce.
- Next, sprinkle a little of the cheese mixture on top of the chicken.
- Lastly, take one side of the tortilla and fold it over. Then roll the tortilla up.
Prepping the pan for Honey Lime Chicken Enchiladas
- Take a 9×13 pan, grease it and then pour about ½ – ¾ cup of the creamy green enchilada sauce in the bottom of the pan.
- Prepare each enchilada as instructed above and then place them in the pan — the pan can usually fit about 8 enchiladas.
- After the pan is full, top the enchiladas with the remaining sauce.
- Top the entire pan with the rest of the shredded cheese.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes.
What to serve with this Creamy Chicken Enchilada Recipe
I like to serve my enchiladas with:
- Shredded Lettuce
- Sour Cream
- Guacamole or Avocado
- Sliced Limes
Other good sides to serve with the enchiladas:
- Easy Bean Dip or a can of black beans
- Cilantro Lime Rice or Mexican Rice
- Corn Salsa — this recipe from Pretty Providence makes a great topping.
- Chips and Salsa
How to store White Chicken Enchiladas
How to freeze Honey Lime Enchiladas
Yes! There are two ways you can approach this! I actually prefer to just make the chicken mixture and freeze that in a freezer safe container. Then the day of, I thaw the chicken and assemble the enchiladas. I have found that the tortillas can end up being a little soggy when preassembled and then frozen.
However, if I am going to preassemble and freeze them, then I prefer to use corn tortillas. They seem to handle it better without having the tortilla get a little soggy. Another trick my friend taught me, was to quickly fry the tortillas, before assembling. This helps keep the moisture out. I also always use disposable freezer pans, so I’m not low on my glass pans.
When I freeze pans of enchiladas, I double foil the top. It can stay in the freezer for up to 3 months.
To cook from a frozen state, bake covered at 350 degrees for 1 ½ hours covered. Then uncover and cook for an additional 30 minutes.
To cook when thawed, bake at 350 degrees from 30 minutes.
How to reheat Creamy Chicken Enchiladas
Oven Method (Recommended):
- Preheat your oven to 350°F.
- Place the enchiladas in an oven-safe dish. If they’re not already in a sauce, consider adding a bit of enchilada sauce or chicken broth to the bottom of the dish to keep them moist.
- Cover the dish with aluminum foil to prevent the enchiladas from drying out.
- Bake for about 15-20 minutes or until thoroughly heated.
- This is quicker but can sometimes lead to uneven heating.
- Place the enchiladas on a microwave-safe plate.
- Cover them with a damp paper towel to add moisture and prevent them from drying out.
- Microwave on medium power in 30-second intervals, checking for even heating.
Tips for Best Results:
- Avoid high heat as it can dry out the tortillas.
- If the enchiladas are frozen, thaw them in the refrigerator overnight before reheating.
- Adding a bit of fresh cheese on top before the final few minutes of reheating can refresh the flavor.
Honey Lime Chicken Enchiladas
CHICKEN MIXTURE INGREDIENTS
- 4 Cups Chicken cooked and shredded (I use 3-4 chicken breasts or rotisserie chicken)
- .5 Cup Honey
- .5 Cup Lime Juice 2-3 large limes
- 1.5 Tablespoons Chili Powder to preference
- 2 Teaspoons Garlic Powder
ENCHILADA SAUCE INGREDIENTS
- 20 ounces Green Enchilada Sauce (2 – 10 oz cans)
- 1 Cup Heavy Cream
- 8-10 Flour Tortillas (or corn tortillas if preferred)
- 3-4 Cups Colby Monterey Jack Cheese mixed and shredded
OPTIONAL ADDED INGREDIENTS
- 1 Yellow Onion sautéed
- 1 Can Black Beans
- 1 Can Corn
CHICKEN MARINADE INSTRUCTIONS
- Cook and shred the chicken or use rotisserie chicken. Combine the shredded chicken with the honey, lime juice, chili powder and garlic powder. Allow to marinade at a minimum of 30 minutes, but I generally make it in the morning and let it marinate until I prepare the enchiladas for dinner.
ENCHILADA SAUCE INSTRUCTIONS
- Combine the 20 oz of Green Enchilada Sauce with the 1 Cup Heavy Cream and Mix.
ENCHILADA ASSEMBLY INSTRUCTIONS
- Take your 9×13 pan and grease it. Then add a ½ cup – ¾ cup of the enchilada sauce mixture to the bottom of the pan.
- Take a tortilla and spread a large spoonful of the sauce in the center of the tortilla.
- Take about ½ cup of the chicken mixture and spread it over the sauce in the center of the tortilla.
- Top the chicken with some shredded cheese.
- Fold one of the sides over and then roll your enchilada up and place it in the pan.
- At this time, feel free to add any additional ingredients — black beans, corn, sautéed onions, etc.
- Once your pan is full, pour the remaining enchilada sauce over the enchiladas and then sprinkle the remaining cheese over the top.
- Cook at 350 for approx. 20-25 minutes.
ENJOY! Seriously, doesn’t it look amazing? I love the mix of the sweetness of the honey, citrus from the lime and flavor from the chili powder! In my opinion, they all come together to make the perfect Enchilada!
If you’ve tried this recipe, I’d love it if you’d comment and rate the recipe! I love to hear feedback and answer questions!
Make sure to pin this post for later too! Thanks so much friends! Have a great day!
*This post was originally published in August 2014 and has been updated with new pictures, a video tutorial and information.