Discover a collection of the Best ways to say Hello and Goodbye to your Elf on the Shelf this year! From clever letters to fun parties, this blog post offers creative traditions and printables to make the arrival and departure a magical holiday experience.
Welcome to the magical world of Elf on the Shelf! In this blog post, I’m excited to share a fun collection of imaginative ideas to greet and bid farewell to your Elf on the Shelf. From whimsical welcome letters that sparkle with the joy of the season, to heartwarming goodbye traditions that keep the magic alive all year long, I’ve got you covered. Join me as we explore fun-filled parties, enchanting dances, and creative printables that will turn every hello and goodbye into a fun holiday experience. Let’s make each Elf arrival and departure a memorable celebration! If you’re new to Elf on the Shelf and you’re asking yourself, What is the Elf on the Shelf, then check out my FAQ blog post. Then it’s time to get planning!
Ideas to Welcome your Elf on the Shelf
The Best Ways to Say Hello to your Elf on the Shelf
1. Welcome Back Letter: Have your elf bring a personalized letter. There are a lot of fun options out there of pre-written letters. Above you’ll see two options – one for the first time a Elf arrives and one for a returning Elf!
2. Elf Welcome Breakfast: Host a special breakfast in honor of your elf’s return. Decorate the table with holiday-themed items, serve pancakes or waffles topped with red and green sprinkles, and have a little chair and plate set up for the elf.
3. Welcome Elf Cocoa Party w/ Printables – Set up a hot cocoa bar with various toppings like marshmallows, whipped cream, and sprinkles. This can be a sweet treat to enjoy while discussing how excited you are to have your Elf there for the season.
4. Elf Suitcase and Travel Set: Enhance your Elf on the Shelfs arrival with this Elf Travel Set of Printables. This charming collection includes suitcases, passports and a computer.
5. Elf Mail: a personalized postcard from your Elf on the Shelf! These unique notes add a magical touch to your Elf on the Shelf’s arrival, bringing joy and a feeling of magic.
6. Welcome Back Banner: Craft a DIY ‘Welcome Back’ banner and adorn it with balloons for a festive touch. This simple yet delightful decoration will bring a burst of excitement to your kids’ morning as they step out of their rooms!
7. Elf Welcome Back Idea with the Book: Leave a special note alongside the ‘Elf on the Shelf’ book, encouraging your children to read it. This sets up a fun anticipation, as they’ll be eager to discover the Elf’s hiding spot the following day after reconnecting with the story.
8. Elf Sized Pancake Breakfast: Whip up a batch of mini pancakes and host an elf-themed pancake party to celebrate your Elf on the Shelf’s return. This fun and tasty event is a delightful way to welcome your elf back with a bit of whimsy and joy.
9. Scavenger Hunt: Create a scavenger hunt with clues leading to the elf’s hiding spot. Each clue can be a riddle or a task related to the holiday season, making the search an exciting adventure for the kids.
10. Elf Door Surprise: Set up a tiny elf door in your home as a magical entryway for your elf. Decorate the area around the door with miniature Christmas decorations to make it more enchanting.
11. Elf Arrival Calendar: Similar to an Advent calendar, create a countdown to your elf’s arrival with small treats or notes for each day leading up to the return.
12. Elf Movie Night: Host a family movie night with a favorite holiday film to welcome the elf. You can have special elf-themed snacks like elf-shaped cookies or green and red popcorn.
WAYS TO SAY GOODBYE TO YOUR ELF
When it’s time to think about bidding a fond farewell to your Elf on the Shelf, the kids can be sad. So, let’s explore a variety of fun ways to say goodbye to your elf, ensuring their departure is as magical as their arrival. From heartfelt goodbye letters to celebratory farewell parties, let’s look at some fun ideas! We’ll also delve into the idea of ‘magic lifted’ – a special moment when children can hold their elf for the first time, and the tradition of leaving a goodbye book to capture the memories of this season.
The BEST Ways to Say Goodbye to your Elf on the Shelf!
1. Goodbye Letter: Share a goodbye letter with your kids from the Elf. This letter is so much fun and helps the kids imagine the world that your Elf is returning too!
2. Goodbye Message in Cereal: Have your Elf leave a goodbye message from your Elf using your cereal. Or if you want to get your kids involved in the farewell, let them write a message out to your Elf!
3. Magic Lifted for a Hug Goodbye: Allow children to hold the elf for the first time as the “magic is lifted” on the last day.
4. Farewell Breakfast: Host a special breakfast in honor of your elf’s last day, with elf-themed decorations and foods.
5. Memory Scrapbook: This idea takes planning, but during the Elf season take pics of your Elf daily. Create a scrapbook with pictures and notes detailing all the adventures your elf had during their stay.
6. Leave a Goodbye Book: Mark your Elf on the Shelf’s farewell by having them leave a special Christmas book for the kids. This heartwarming goodbye gift becomes a cherished holiday read and a lasting tradition in your family’s Christmas celebrations.
7. Elf’s Treasure Hunt: Set up a treasure hunt with clues left by the elf, leading to a small farewell gift.
8. Window Painting: This idea is so fun! Use a snow window spray to create this fun set up! Just spray the window and then use your fingers and maybe a knife to draw out the Elf shape and to write the message!
9. Photo Session: Take a family photo with the elf to commemorate the holiday season.
10. Goodbye Countdown: Create a countdown to the elf’s departure, marking each day with a small note or treat.
11. Leave the Ingredients To Make a Cake or Treat: As a sweet farewell, your Elf on the Shelf can leave behind all the ingredients needed for the family to bake a cake together, turning their goodbye into a fun and tasty baking adventure.
12. Hot Cocoa Toast: Raise a mug of hot cocoa in a toast to the elf, celebrating the memories made.
We hope these ideas help you find the PERFECT way to start and finish your Elf Season! Be sure and check out our Elf on the Shelf Printables and Ideas – we share welcome letters, goodbye letters, Elf Magical Recovery Kit, Joke Cards, Secret Messages from Santa, Last Min Elf on the Shelf Ideas and more!
As we close the book on our Elf on the Shelf adventures, remember, it’s all about the fun and smiles these little elves bring into our lives. Whether you’re rolling out the red carpet to welcome them or waving goodbye with a tear and a giggle, each of these moments is a precious memory in the making. We hope these ideas spark some festive fun in your household. And when your elf heads back to the North Pole, let’s keep that joyful spirit going all year round.