Sweet Waffle Donut with Chocolate Sauce is the perfect combination of a waffle and donut which makes for the perfect breakfast! The whole family will love this tasty meal!
Breakfast is one of our favorite meals of the day! Sadly, 6 out 7 mornings a week, I just don’t have time (or I don’t get up early enough) to make anything amazing! But, once a week I love to make something extra yummy! These Sweet Waffle Donut’s are a personal favorite of mine!! Not only do I love this recipe, but it’s almost impossible to mess up! Intimidation be gone!! Really, anybody with a waffle iron can pull this one off!
They are just mini waffles – approx 3×3 in size. My favorite thing about them is that they warm up feeling and tasting like they do right out of the Waffle Iron! So, this is a great recipe to make a lot of to either keep in the fridge for the next few breakfasts or even freeze them!
The flavor is sweet, but not at all overwhelming! Because I love the chocolate sauce, I generally try to have a fresh fruit on hand to lighten up my bite! Raspberries are a personal favorite to pair with them!
SWEET WAFFLE DONUT
Sweet Waffle Donut w/ Chocolate Sauce
- ¾ cup sugar
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- 6 tablespoons shortening
- 2 egg yolks and 1 whole egg well beaten
- 1 ¼ cups buttermilk
- 5 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon grated nutmeg
- ½ cup butter
- 4 tablespoons cocoa
- 3 ½ cups powdered sugar
- Start by creaming the sugar and shortening together. Then add eggs.
- In a separate bowl combine all the dry ingredients and mix.
- Add the combined dry ingredients to the creamed mixture, alternating with the buttermilk! Mix until combined - mixture should be sticky. Do not over mix or the Waffle Donut may be dense.
- Preheat waffle iron according to its directions. Take a stick of butter and just lightly coat the waffle iron. To keep the sizes of your Waffle Donuts the same, I like to use a small cookie scoop. But, not big deal if you don't have one. My scoops are approx 1 heaping tablespoon in size.
Instructions for the Chocolate Sauce
- Melt together on low the butter and cocoa in a heavy sauce pan. Remove from heat and add the powdered sugar. Then add milk until desired consistency. Drizzle over the Waffle Donut and top off with some whipped cream!
Oh also, this is one of my favorite things to make for Valentine’s Day breakfast! It always just seems fitting on such a sweet holiday!
If you love this recipe, check out some of my other favorite breakfast ideas:
Breakfast Potatoes | Swedish Pancakes | Bran Muffins
Or any of these amazing ones:
- Easy Baked French Toast Sticks
- 25 Instant Pot Breakfast Recipes
- Strawberry Pancakes w/ Strawberry Vanilla Whipped Cream
- Traditional Peaches and Cream
- Copycat Cinnabon Cinnamon Rolls
- Homemade Orange Rolls
If you love this post, then I’d love it if you pinned the image below!
Is it possible to cut the recipe in half? We would never use all the batter for two people. Can the batter be stored overnight?
Yes! You can totally cut the recipe in half! I’ve done that many times! I personally have never stored the batter overnight, so I can’t say for sure. This batter is thicker than a normal pancake batter, but based upon the ingredients I would assume it would be fine. If you try it, let me know how it goes! Thanks so much!
Holy Yum! I want it now.
Oh yum, I think my kiddos (ok maybe it’s me) need these for breakfast one day this week! Thanks for sharing them with us at The Creative Collection.
Seriously? A waffle donut? My favorite meal and my favorite dessert all in one? I think I am in love.
What a great idea. Most people probably don’t make doughnuts because it requires special tools, etc. But everyone can make these! I love this idea and would love these for breakfast.
From fail to triumph! What a creative idea and a delicious recipe! Pinning to my “Creative Yummery: Doughnuts” board.
what a cool idea! These look so so yummy
Mmmm. I like this one because I don’t currently have a mini donut pan.. but I do have a waffle iron! Thanks for sharing!
Vanessa Marquiss Barker
These look so good. Almost too yummy to eat…almost!
Amber @ DessertNowDinnerLater!
Where’s my fork?! Looks yummy!
Better From Scratch
These seriously look amazing! I think your donut fail was meant to be so that you could share this recipe with us! Can’t wait to try it!!
I’m totally drooling, Pam! I want some of these for breakfast–now!
Becky Bevan Blad
Oh my goodness! This looks so amazing! Very creative too!