Breakfast is one of our favorite meals of the day! Sadly, 6 out 7 mornings a week, I just don’t have time (or I don’t get up early enough) to make anything amazing! But, once a week I love to make something extra yummy! This Sweet Waffle Donut with Chocolate Sauce is a personal favorite of mine!! Not only do I love this recipe, but it’s almost impossible to mess up! Intimidation be gone!! Really, anybody with a waffle iron can pull this one off!
They are just mini waffles – approx 3×3 in size. My favorite thing about them is that they warm up feeling and tasting like they do right out of the Waffle Iron! So, this is a great recipe to make a lot of to either keep in the fridge for the next few breakfasts or even freeze them!
The flavor is sweet, but not at all overwhelming! Because I love the chocolate sauce, I generally try to have a fresh fruit on hand to lighten up my bite! Raspberries are a personal favorite to pair with them!
SWEET WAFFLE DONUT
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 6 tablespoons shortening
- 2 egg yolks and 1 whole egg, well beaten
- 1 1/4 cups buttermilk
- 5 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon grated nutmeg
- 1/2 cup butter
- 4 tablespoons cocoa
- 3 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- Start by creaming the sugar and shortening together. Then add eggs.
- In a separate bowl combine all the dry ingredients and mix.
- Add the combined dry ingredients to the creamed mixture, alternating with the buttermilk! Mix until combined - mixture should be sticky. Do not over mix or the Waffle Donut may be dense.
- Preheat waffle iron according to its directions. Take a stick of butter and just lightly coat the waffle iron. To keep the sizes of your Waffle Donuts the same, I like to use a small cookie scoop. But, not big deal if you don't have one. My scoops are approx 1 heaping tablespoon in size.
- Melt together on low the butter and cocoa in a heavy sauce pan. Remove from heat and add the powdered sugar. Then add milk until desired consistency. Drizzle over the Waffle Donut and top off with some whipped cream!
Oh also, this is one of my favorite things to make for Valentine’s Day breakfast! It always just seems fitting on such a sweet holiday!
If you love this recipe, check out some of my other favorite breakfast ideas:
- Easy Baked French Toast Sticks
- 25 Instant Pot Breakfast Recipes
- Strawberry Pancakes w/ Strawberry Vanilla Whipped Cream
- Traditional Peaches and Cream
- Copycat Cinnabon Cinnamon Rolls
- Homemade Orange Rolls
If you love this post, then I’d love it if you pinned the image below!