I know that is a big claim, BUT this really is the BEST Broccoli Cheese Soup! My kids – even the picky one – loves this soup! It’s creamy with chunks of vegetables that help create texture!!
This soup is a favorite during Fall, Winter and Spring for my family! Even my pickiest eater loves it! It’s got a thick creamy texture, with chunks of vegetables in it!
If you love soups, be sure and check out these other posts:
- 25 Instant Pot Soups
- Chicken Noodle Soup
- Mexican Taco Soup
- Heartwarming Crockpot Soups
- 1 Recipe – 3 Chowders
BROCCOLI SWISS CHEESE SOUP
Best Broccoli Cheese Soup
- 1 13 oz can Chicken Broth
- 1 Onion small, diced
- ⅓ cup Flour
- ¼ cup Butter
- ½ tsp Pepper
- 2 cups Milk or Half in Half if preferred
- 1.5 cups Sharp Cheddar Cheese shredded
- ½ cup Swiss Cheese shredded
- 1.5 cups Cauliflower steamed & chopped
- 1.5 cups Broccoli Florets steamed & chopped
- Simmer chicken broth and chopped onion for 15-20 minutes in a covered small saucepan, until onions are soft.
- Heat milk in microwave for 1-2 minutes. In a separate medium-sized stockpot, melt butter then add flour and pepper.
- Cook together for a couple of minutes, then whisk in warmed milk. Stir and heat together on medium-high heat until soup starts to thicken.
- Next, add chicken broth and continue to stir until well blended. Add cheeses and steamed broccoli and cauliflower. Serve immediately.
CAN YOU FREEZE BROCCOLI CHEESE SOUP?
You can freeze Broccoli Cheese soup, but it is a bit trickier. Because of the dairy base, when it freezes, it can separate into watery layers. But, don’t stress, this will remedy during the reheating process.
Before freezing, make sure to cool the soup to room temperature. Put the soup in an airtight container, leaving room for the soup to expand when it freezes. If you want to save room, I love using Freezer Ziplock Bags. They can lay flat in the freezer.
It will stay good up to 2 months in the freezer.
I hope you enjoy it as much as we do!
And if you love this post, I’d love it if you’d pin the image below!!