This classic Easy Macaroni and Shrimp Salad is the perfect side to any meal! Especially fun to serve at BBQ’s or Potlucks! Just throw the 5 ingredients in a bowl with the dressing and mix!
CLASSIC MACARONI SALAD
I grew up with my mother making this Classic Shrimp Macaroni Salad! It’s one of my favorites ever! So simple and yet so delish! It’s one of those recipes that you can really adapt it to you and your families liking too. Just use my recipe as a starting point and feel free to add or omit any parts you want to. I have a sister that prefers to leave out the celery, but adds peas. I also have a friend that loves to add some green peppers to hers.
Macaroni Salad Ingredients
I am sharing the recipe that I grew up on and therefor prefer, but there are a lot of different things that can be added to a macaroni salad. Here are some ideas:
- Hard Boiled Eggs
- Red Onions
- Peppers (Green or Red)
- Pimento Peppers
- Sliced Carrots
- Sweet Relish
- Cubed Cheddar Cheese
Tips for making the Best Macaroni Salad:
- If you can allow a longer refrigeration time after making it, it’s better! It allows the dressing to soak into the noodles a bit more and the flavors are elevated!
- Don’t overcook your noodles! There’s nothing worse than a mushy noodle in a macaroni salad!
- I like to buy the salad shrimp pre-cooked from the grocery store! Makes preparation 10x easier and faster!
- I also generally buy my olives pre diced!
If you love this salad, make sure and check out these other salads and sides!
Shrimp Macaroni Salad
- 1 package Elbow Macaroni Noodles
- 7 Hard Boiled Eggs diced
- ½ 4.25 oz can Chopped Olives
- 4+ cups Small Salad Shrimp
- 2 stalks Celery diced
- 3 cups Miracle Whip approx
- Start by boiling the Elbow Macaroni Noodles in a large pot on the stove until soft.
- While the Macaroni Noodles are boiling, I like to cut up my hard boiled eggs, olives (if you don't buy them chopped) and celery.
- Combine all the ingredients in a bowl and mix. Finish off by adding Salt and Pepper to taste!
- Refrigerate until cold or ready to serve!
If you’ve tried this recipe, I’d love it if you’d comment and rate the recipe! I love to hear feedback and answer questions!
Make sure to pin this post for later too! Thanks so much friends! Have a great day!
*This recipe was originally posted in Sept 2011 and has been updated!