This classic Easy Macaroni and Shrimp Salad is the perfect side to any meal! Especially fun to serve at BBQ’s or Potlucks! Just throw the 5 ingredients in a bowl with the dressing and mix!
CLASSIC MACARONI SALAD
I grew up with my mother making this Classic Shrimp Macaroni Salad! It’s one of my favorites ever! So simple and yet so delish! It’s one of those recipes that you can really adapt it to you and your families liking too. Just use my recipe as a starting point and feel free to add or omit any parts you want to. I have a sister that prefers to leave out the celery, but adds peas. I also have a friend that loves to add some green peppers to hers.
Macaroni Salad Ingredients
I am sharing the recipe that I grew up on and therefor prefer, but there are a lot of different things that can be added to a macaroni salad. Here are some ideas:
- Hard Boiled Eggs
- Red Onions
- Peppers (Green or Red)
- Pimento Peppers
- Sliced Carrots
- Sweet Relish
- Cubed Cheddar Cheese
Recipes I love to serve Classic Macaroni Salad with:
I love to serve this Classic Macaroni Salad alongside dishes such as teriyaki chicken thighs, honey glazed baked ham, snow crab legs, beef skewers, salmon, Ham and Swiss Sliders, and bbq chicken crock pot!
Tips for making the Perfect Macaroni Salad:
- The longer you refrigerate after preparing, the better it gets! This gives the dressing time to meld with the noodles, enhancing the flavors.
- Ensure your noodles are not overcooked. Nobody wants mushy noodles in their macaroni salad!
- For convenience, I opt for pre-cooked salad shrimp from the grocery store. It significantly speeds up the prep time.
- To save time, I typically purchase my olives pre-diced.
If you love this salad, make sure and check out these other salads and sides!
Shrimp Macaroni Salad
- 1 package Elbow Macaroni Noodles
- 7 Hard Boiled Eggs diced
- ½ 4.25 oz can Chopped Olives
- 4+ cups Small Salad Shrimp
- 2 stalks Celery diced
- 3 cups Miracle Whip approx
- Start by boiling the Elbow Macaroni Noodles in a large pot on the stove until soft.
- While the Macaroni Noodles are boiling, I like to cut up my hard boiled eggs, olives (if you don't buy them chopped) and celery.
- Combine all the ingredients in a bowl and mix. Finish off by adding Salt and Pepper to taste!
- Refrigerate until cold or ready to serve!
If you’ve tried this recipe, I’d love it if you’d comment and rate the recipe! I love to hear feedback and answer questions!
Make sure to pin this post for later too! Thanks so much friends! Have a great day!
*This recipe was originally posted in Sept 2011 and has been updated!