This Sweet Potato Casserole is my families favorite side to serve with our Thanksgiving Dinner or Christmas Dinner! The brown sugar and pecan crumble that tops the sweet potato is most everyones favorite part!
What happens when pumpkin pie meets pecan pie? This Sweet Potato Crunch is born!
For years our family made sweet potatoes for the sake of tradition on Thanksgiving. No one really ate them except maybe my Grandparents. Then about 10 years ago my Mom was given this recipe by a friend and we have never looked back! They are so gooood!
In the recipe below, I have the recipe for both a 9×9 and a 9×13! Now let’s get cooking!
HOW DO YOU COOK SWEET POTATOES FOR MASHING?
I like to boil my sweet potatoes, but you can also bake your sweet potatoes. Just use whatever method you prefer!
How to boil Sweet Potatoes:
Fill a large pot about 1/2 way with salted water and bring to a boil. Add the potatoes and cook until tender, generally about 30-40 minutes.
How to bake Sweet Potatoes:
Preheat oven to 425º. On a baking sheet, poke the sweet potatoes all over with a fork. This allows the heat and steam to evenly cook your sweet potatoes all the way through. Bake until your sweet potatoes are tender, about 45-50 minutes
Enjoy! Trust me, your family will love them and it just might end up your new family tradition too!
Be sure and check out these other Thanksgiving Dishes!
TOP THANKSGIVING SIDE DISHES:
- Thanksgiving Instant Pot Recipes
- Southern Deviled Eggs using the Instant Pot
- Traditional Green Bean Casserole
- Pumpkin Dinner Rolls
- Easy Veggie Cups
- Strawberry Spinach Salad
Sweet Potato Crunch
- 4 Large Sweet Potatoes
- 3 Eggs
- 3/4 C Sugar
- 8 Tbsp Butter Melted
- 1 Tsp Vanilla
- 1/2 Tsp Salt
- 1/3 C Flour
- 6 Tbsp Butter Softened
- 1 C Brown Sugar
- 1 C Pecans Chopped
Sweet Potato Casserole Filling Instructions
- Fill a large pot of salted water and bring to a boil. Poke holes in your sweet potatoes and add them to the boiling water and cook until tender (approx 40 mins). Once sweet potatoes are cooked, allow them to cool.
- Once the sweet potatoes are cooled, peel them.
- Add your eggs to a bowl and slightly beat them. Then add the sugar and stir. Add the remaining filling ingredients -- sweet potatoes, butter, vanilla and salt. Mix to create the filling.
- Pour the filling into a pan of your choice -- I like to use a deep 9x9 pan, but it works in a 9x13 too.
Sweet Potato Casserole Topping Instructions
- Combine the flour and brown sugar in a small bowl. Cut butter into mix until crumbly. Stir in pecans and spread over filling.
- Bake at 350 for 40-45 minutes.
I also have some great Thanksgiving kids activities that you should check out!
DON’T FORGET TO PIN THIS RECIPE!